Monday, February 24, 2014

My First Student Film! - "Starfishing"

I've been trying to get around to this post for a couple of months now, and finally here it is!  All those weekend projects I posted and all the classes I went through during my first semester all lead up to this production.

Each person in my class wrote and directed their own student film.  We began the writing process in our story class a few weeks into the semester.  As the semester went on, each class began to devote more time an effort into our first student films (called F1's - see the Film School Lingo post).  After writing the script, we had to break it down both from a creative standpoint and a production standpoint.  Creatively, we looked for beat changes and various strategies that the characters used to reach each beat objective.  This in turn affected how we directed our actors during rehearsal and on set.  From a production standpoint, we broke down the script looking for what locations, characters, props, and other expenses would be needed.  Eventually we held a casting call and I cast two wonderful actors: Ryan McInerney and Nikki Smith.  Both of them did an excellent job both in rehearsal and on set and were awesome to work with.  Finally our regularly scheduled courses ended in week 11 of the semester, and we went into production on Monday of week 12.  Each student had one 12 hour shooting day to complete their film, and we entered post production on week 13.  We had the next three and a half weeks to edit our films until viola, we reached our finished products!

I will write more about the film later - I hope to have a couple more posts where I go more in depth into the film, the production cycle, and what my film means to me.  But that being said, please check out my first student film!  Please share it and show it to your family and friends, it would really mean a lot to me.  For my small audience out there, thanks so much for the support.  It really does mean a lot :)


No comments:

Post a Comment